1. ARPPIS-DAAD PhD scholarships for study at icipe, Kenya
Three-year doctoral training in insect sciences for development
Deadline for applications: 12TH February 2017
The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya, in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD1) In-Country/In-Region Scholarships Programme and African university partners, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for PhD scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS).
icipe (www.icipe.org) is an international scientific research institute, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya that works towards improving lives and livelihoods of people in Africa. The centre’s primary objective is to research and develop alternative and environmentally-friendly pest and vector management strategies that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and which are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. icipe's mandate extends to the conservation and use of the abundant insect biodiversity found in Africa. icipe is the only international centre in sub-Saharan Africa working primarily on arthropods. icipe works in a holistic and integrated approach through a 4-H paradigm - Human, Animal, Plant and Environmental Health - with the aim of improving the overall health of communities in tropical Africa by addressing the interlinked problems of poverty, poor health, low agricultural productivity and degradation of the environment.
The primary objective of ARPPIS is to prepare young researchers from Africa to compete in an internationally competitive research environment within national, regional and international research programmes. At icipe ARPPIS scholars are provided with excellent research facilities in an interdisciplinary environment within a structured, three-year PhD programme that includes research, training, developing research partnerships, and scientific meetings and international conferences. Scholars conduct their innovative research at icipe’s laboratories and at field sites located in various agro-ecological zones.
- Twelve ARPPIS-DAAD PhD scholarships are available to nationals of sub-Saharan countries.
- The scholarships cover all costs of the PhD programme, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees and all research and training costs.
- Successful candidates will carry out their research in selected projects at icipe.
- Thirteen Eligible PhD Projects are available. For more information go to: list of projects
- Successful candidates will develop a full proposal and register with an ARPPIS partner university in Africa after they start the PhD programme at icipe.
- The ARPPIS PhD programme will commence from September 2017.
- A national of a country in sub-Sahara Africa.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum pass of second-class, upper division.
- A Master’s degree taken with both coursework and research in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the PhD project.
- The Master’s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Qualified nationals of French- and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa are also encouraged to apply.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a maximum age of 36 years (men) or 40 years (women) by 31st December 2017.
- Additional specific entrance requirements will be considered for admission depending on the eligible PhD project(s) selected by the candidate. For information on applicant requirements for each project go to: list of projects
- A working knowledge of English (written & spoken).
- Completed application forms and accompanying supporting documents. Note: please start the application process as soon as possible, especially if some of the supporting documents are difficult to obtain.
Full instructions and online application: http://188.8.131.52/apps/arppi
Deadline for applications: 12th Feb 2017
In case of any questions regarding the ARPPIS PhD programme or your application, kindly contact: Ms. Vivian Atieno, Interim Capacity Building Officer, Capacity Building and Institutional Development Programme, icipe, email@example.com , Tel: +254 20 863 2272
2. East Africa- Scholarships for Postgraduates
The objective of this scholarship programme is to promote the development of university teaching staff in universities and build capacity for staff in public sector through postgraduate training for in select postgraduate study programmes within the institutions listed below:
Applicants should apply to the institution of choice using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. The institutions have set their own deadlines. Only the shortlisted applicants can apply for the DAAD scholarship in the DAAD Portal.
Value of Scholarship:
University fees, research allowance, monthly stipend, travel allowance (where applicable), health insurance (where applicable) and the possibility of a short study visit to Germany within the period of the scholarship.
Postgraduate Programmes eligible for In-Country/ In-Region Scholarships in Eastern Africa, 2017/ 2018
Communication, Computer Science and IT
- Daystar University, Communication (Kenya) – Master and PhD
- Makerere University, Information Systems (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Mbarara University, Information/ Computer Science (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Nelson Mandela African Institute of Science and Technology, Computational and Communication Science and Engineering (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
- Strathmore University, Information Technology (Kenya) – Master and PhD
Engineering, Technology, Urban Planning, Environmental and Resources Management
- Adama Science and Technology University (Ethiopia) – PhD
- Addis Ababa Institute of Technology, Electrical and Computer Engineering for Railway Systems (Ethiopia) – Master
- Ardhi University, Land/Environment/Human Settlement (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
- Ethiopian Institute of Architecture, Building Construction and City Development (Ethiopia) – Master and PhD
- Kenyatta University, Biotechnology (Kenya) – Master and PhD
- Kenyatta University, Environmental Planning and Management (Kenya) – Master and PhD
- Kenyatta University, Integrated Watershed Management (Kenya) – Master
- Kenyatta University, Renewable Energy Technology (Kenya) – Master and PhD
- Makerere University, Integrated Watershed Management (Uganda) – Master
- Makerere University, Technology Innovation and Industrial Development (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Mekelle University, Ethiopian Institute of Technology (Ethiopia) – Master
- Nelson Mandela African Institute of Science and Technology, Life Sciences and Bioengineering (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
- Nelson Mandela African Institute of Science and Technology, Materials/Energy/Water and Environmental Sciences (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
- Taita Taveta University College, Engineering Science (Kenya) – Master
- Technical University Kenya, Mechanical Engineering Technology (Kenya) – Master
- University of Dar es Salaam, Climate Change and Sustainable Development (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
Health Sciences, Medicine, Psychology, Veterinary Medicine
- African Population and Health Research Center, CARTA (several countries in Africa) – PhD
- Daystar University, Clinical Psychology (Kenya) –PhD
- Jimma University, Tropical and Infectious Diseases (Ethiopia ) – PhD
- Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College, Public Health (Tanzania) – PhD
- Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College, Epidemiology and Applied Biostatistics (Tanzania) – Master
- Makerere University, Public Health (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Makerere University, Veterinary Preventive Medicine (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Mbarara University, Health/ Medicine (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Pharmacy (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
- Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Traditional Medicine (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
- Strathmore University, Healthcare Management (Kenya) – Master and PhD
- University of Gondar, Public Health Sciences (Ethiopia) – PhD
- Makerere University, Law (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Tanzanian-German Centre for Postgraduate Studies in Law (Tanzania) – Master
- University of Dar es Salaam, Immigration and Refugee Law (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
- University of Nairobi, Environmental Law and Policy (Kenya) – Master and PhD
Mathematics, Economics, Business, Management
- Addis Ababa University, Management (Ethiopia) – PhD
- Africa Economic Research Consortium, Agricultural and Applied Economics (Kenya) – Master and PhD
- Eastern Africa Statistical Training Centre (several countries in Eastern Africa) – Master
- Mbarara University, Business Administration; Mathematics (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Moshi Co-operative University, Business/Finance (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
- Moshi Co-operative University, Procurement (Tanzania) – Master
- Strathmore University, Mathematics (Kenya) – Master and PhD
- Taita Taveta University College, Business Management (Kenya) – Master
- University of Nairobi, Economics (Kenya) – Master and PhD
Natural Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Earth Sciences, Natural Resources, Food Science)
- Addis Ababa University, Earth Sciences (Ethiopia) – Master and PhD
- Addis Ababa University, Microbial, Cellular and Molecular Biology, (Ethiopia) – Master and PhD
- Hawassa University, Wondo Genet College of Forestry and Natural Resources (Ethiopia) – Master and PhD
- International Center for Research in Agroforestry, ICRAF (Kenya) – PhD
- International Center for the Study of Insect Physiology and Ecology, ICIPE (Kenya) – PhD
- International Livestock Research Institute, ILRI (Kenya, Ethiopia) – PhD
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Food Science and Technology (Kenya) – Master and PhD
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Horticulture (Kenya) – Master and PhD
- Kisii University, Fisheries (Kenya) – Master and PhD
- Makerere University, Livestock Development and Planning (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Makerere University, Zoology (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Mbarara University, Biology/ Physics (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Moshi Co-operative University, Environmental Studies (Tanzania) – PhD
- Natural Products Research Network for Eastern and Central Africa, Chemistry/Biology (several countries in Africa) – Master and PhD
- Regional University Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture, RUFORUM (several countries in Africa) – PhD
- University of Dar es Salaam, Food and Nutrition Security (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
- University of Nairobi, Physical Sciences incl. Geology, Chemistry, Meteorology (Kenya) – Master and PhD
Social Sciences, Governance, Development, Education
- Addis Ababa University, Peace and Security Studies (Ethiopia) - PhD
- Catholic University of Eastern Africa, Regional Integration (Kenya) - Master
- Daystar University, Community Development (Kenya) – Master
- Daystar University, Monitoring and Evaluation (Kenya) – Master
- International Center for Research in Agroforestry, ICRAF (Kenya) – PhD
- Jordan University College, Education (Tanzania) – Master
- Mbarara University, Development Studies/Governance/ Conflict Studies/ Education (Uganda) – Master and PhD
- Moshi Co-operative University, Cooperative and Community Development/Cooperation (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
- Moshi Co-operative University, Gender and Development (Tanzania) – PhD
- Partnership for African Social and Governance Research, PASGR (several countries in Africa) – Master
- St. Augustine University, Education Management and Planning (Tanzania) – Master
- University of Dar es Salaam, Strategic and Peace Studies (Tanzania) – Master and PhD
3. Other Links
Please share these opportunities within your networks
1. Australia Award Scholarship (http://australiaawardsindo.or
2. LPDP Scholarsh hip (http://www.beasiswalpdp.org/i
3. DIKTI Scholarship a. Dalam Negeri (http://www.beasiswa.dikti.go.
4. Turkey Government Scholarship (http://www.turkiyeburslari.go
5. General Cultural Scholarship India (http://www.iccrindia.net/gere
6. USA Government Scholarship a. (http://www.aminef.or.id/index
7. Netherland Government Scholarship (http://www.nesoindonesia.or.i
8. Korean Government Scholarship (http://www.niied.go.kr/eng/co
9. Belgium Government Scholarship (http://www.vliruos.be/4273.as
10. Israel ... ... xxx
11. Sciences Po France (http://formation.sciences-po.
12. Utrecht University Netherland (http://www.uu.nl/…/grantsands
13. Prasetya Mulya Business School Indonesia (http://www.pmbs.ac.id/s2/scho
14. Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship (http://www.mofat.gov.bn/index
15. Monbugakusho Scholarship Japan (http://www.id.emb-japan.go.jp
16. Paramadina University Master Fellowship Indonesia (https://gradschool.paramadina
17. PPM School of Management Indonesia (http://ppm-manajemen.ac.id/be
18. University of Twente Netherland (http://www.utwente.nl/interna
19. Sweden Government Scholarship (http://www.studyinsweden.se/S
20. Chinese Government Scholarship (http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/
21. Taiwan Government Scholarship (http://www.studyintaiwan.org/
22. United Kingdom Government SCholarship (http://www.chevening.org/indo
23. Panasonic Scholarship Japan (http://panasonic.net/citizens
24. Ancora Foundation Scholarship (http://ancorafoundation.com)
25. Asian Public Intellectuals Fellowship Japan (http://www.api-fellowships.or
26. AUN/SEED-Net Scholarship (http://www.seed-net.org/index
27. Art Asia Major Scholarship Korea National University of Arts (http://eng.karts.ac.kr:81/kar
28. Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University Japan (http://www.apu.ac.jp/home/lif
29. Seoul National University Korea (http://en.snu.ac.kr/…/gradu…/
30. DIKTIS Overseas Scholarship (http://www.pendis.kemenag.go.
31. Honjo International Scholarship Foundation Japan (http://hisf.or.jp/english/sch
32. IDB Merit Scholarship Programme for High Technology (http://www.isdb.org/irj/porta
33. International HIV & Drug Use Fellowship USA (http://www.iasociety.org/fell
34. Nitori International Scholarship Foundation Japan (http://www.nitori-shougakuzai
35. School of Government and Public Policy Indonesia (http://sgpp.ac.id/pages/finan
36. Inpex Scholarship Foundation Japan
37. Asia University Taiwan (http://ciae.asia.edu.tw/Admis
38. Macquaire University Australia (http://www.mq.edu.au/…/macqua